Being trapped is a terrible thing. It leaves a person feeling helpless and hopeless. Loving someone who’s trapped is equally hard. We want to help but it’s hard to know exactly what to do.
Sunday we will conclude our serving it up series by exploring serving it up to the trapped. People can be trapped in many ways. Physical disabilities, addictions, mental health issues, and many other situations can keep people down. How can we as a church reach out and help these people? The answer lies in the person of Jesus and how he dealt with the trapped that he encountered.
Come join us Sunday as we hear from God’s word and seek insight into how best to serve it up to the trapped.
See you tomorrow!
STEPS TO PREPARE
PRAY FOR THE SERVICES AND FOR YOURSELF
AND ME AND THE OTHER TEACHERS.
PRAYERFULLY READ THE SCRIPTURES
AND CONSIDER THE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS.
MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND A PREACHING SERVICE AND A SMALL GROUP.
INVITE SOMEONE TO COME WITH YOU.
PREPARING FOR SUNDAY: SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
1. Describe a time in your life that you felt trapped. How did it make you feel?
2. Did someone help you when you were trapped? What did they do to help?
3. 1 Timothy 6:9-10 (NIV) 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
What is the trap Timothy warned about in this passage? What are the main traps that we face in our culture?
4. Proverbs 29:25 (NIV) 25 Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. Do you get trapped by caring more about what others think rather than what God thinks? Why?
5. 1 Corinthians 10:13 New American Standard Bible (NASB) 13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it. Paul says every temptation (trap) has a way of escape. What resources does God want us to use to escape?
6. Galatians 6:1,2 New International Version (NIV) Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ. When helping others who are trapped, what are some key things to remember?
7. John 10:10 New American Standard Bible (NASB) 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly. How has Jesus helped you with the traps in your life?
8. How can we pray for you?