Why Church Matters: Learn Forgiveness
What defines a Christian? When people look and listen to you, what would make them think you are a follower of Jesus? What one thing separates our beliefs and actions from most religions in the world?
One word, FORGIVENESS. What sets you apart as a follower of Jesus is that, you have received forgiveness by grace and you grant forgiveness by grace.
This Sunday I will share, WHY CHURCH MATTERS – LEARNING FORGIVENESS. Jesus taught forgiveness and lived forgiveness. If we will ever follow Him, we must learn how to do this together.
I can’t wait to see you and your invited guest.
Preparing for Sunday
- Prayerfully read the scriptures that follow and consider the questions.
- Invite a friend or family member to come with you
- Plan to attend a preaching service and a small group.
Small Group Questions
- Why do unbelievers expect Christians to be forgiving people and mock when they are not?
- What does it mean to be a peace maker, and why is it important?
Mat 5:9, “Happy are those who work for peace; God will call them his children!
- How central is forgiveness to the message of Christ?
Luk 6:27-29, “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either.”
Luk 6:35-36, “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.”
Mat 6:12-15, And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Luk 23:33-34, When they came to the place called “The Skull,” they crucified Jesus there, and the two criminals, one on his right and the other on his left. Jesus said, “Forgive them, Father! They don’t know what they are doing.” They divided his clothes among themselves by throwing dice.
- What makes forgiveness a hard subject for you?
- Describe how you can forgive someone and let your feelings come along later?
- Are most church people known as forgivers?
- Where will your children and others learn forgiveness?