Dear Church Family,
My grandpa loved to fish. He would go every chance that he got and often came home with dinner. As a little boy, I remember times when he would take me fishing. I was terrible! I was impatient and spent more time casting and reeling than fishing. The one thing I was good at was knots. I could backlash my little reel into dozens of impossible knots that would take hours to untie!
I remember catching fish though. Always on my grandpa’s pole after he baited and waited, set the hook, and then let me reel ‘em in. I felt like such a great fisherman!
The first disciples were fishermen too. But Jesus had something far greater in mind for these men that the world found to be unimpressive.
See you Sunday!
STEPS TO PREPARE
PRAY FOR THE SERVICES AND FOR YOURSELF
AND ME AND THE OTHER TEACHERS.
PRAYERFULLY READ THE SCRIPTURES
AND CONSIDER THE DISCUSSION QUESTIONS.
MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND A PREACHING SERVICE AND A SMALL GROUP.
INVITE SOMEONE TO COME WITH YOU.
PREPARING FOR SUNDAY: SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
Preparing for Sunday-September 1, 2019
THE CALLING OF THE FIRST DISCIPLES
As He was walking along the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon, who was called Peter, and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the sea, since they were fishermen.
“Follow Me,” He told them, “and I will make you fish for people!”
Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.
Going on from there, He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and his brother John. They were in a boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and He called them.
Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed Him.
- Do you have a memorable fishing story? Share it.
- How did the four fishermen respond? What seems unusual about this response?
- Do you think this was the first time they had heard about Jesus? (see Mat 4.13, 17)
- How do you think Zebedee felt about this? Why?
- If Jesus came to your place of employment and called you, what would you do? Why?
- Whom do you feel like God is calling you to fish for?
- What are you doing to fish for men?
- How can we best pray for you?