We have a good and eternal purpose for where we have been placed. God has placed you in this time and in the relationships you have. His purpose is for you to be a stable and believable witness of God’s love through Christ.
As we read the apostles Peters words he reminds us not to lose sight of our purpose. Peter knew that real change happens one soul at a time. Peter and those early disciples had no political power, or friends in the culture but they had the Gospel and the love of God. They knew the purpose of Christ was their purpose
1 Peter 3:18: For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
1 Peter 4:1-2: Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, (2) so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
Jesus suffered to bring salvation and to bring us to God and we must be willing to do our part to bring others to God as well.
This Sunday I will teach what Peter said about being a believable witness in a corrupt culture. If you will ever be a light to your family and friends, you will need to live a different kind of life. Sometime choosing His purpose is hard and you must decide what your life will look like as you live before others. Often there are obvious things that are blocking your witness. Once these blocks are removed you will have amazing influence. God will help you as you turn from sin to Him.
Decide how much you want others to know Jesus and then look at your life. We also have a number of baptisms this Sunday so be sure to come.
PREPARING FOR SUNDAY: SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
- Please prayerfully read the scriptures and consider the questions
- discuss the questions with someone if possible.
- Plan to invite someone and attend one of the worship services.
- Plan to attend a small group or class if possible.
- Pray for me!
- WHY DO WE CONTINUE IN SIN WHEN WE KNOW IT IS NOT GODS WAY FOR US TO LIVE?
1 Peter 4:1-2 Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, (2) so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.
- HOW CAN FIGHTING TEMPTATION BE A KIND OF SUFFERING?
- DESCRIBE HOW SINFUL BEHAVIORS OR ATTITUDES CAN BLOCK OUR WILLINGNESS OR ABILITY TO WITNESS?
- SHARE A PERSONAL OBSERVATION.
- PETER WAS WRITING TO PEOPLE PRESSURED TO FIT INTO A PAGAN CULTURE HOW DO YOU FEEL THIS PRESSURE?
1 Peter 4:3-4 For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries. (4) In all this, they are surprised that you do not run with them into the same excesses of dissipation, and they malign you;
- DESCRIBE HOW YOU HAVE BEEN EXCLUDED OR MALIGNED FOR NOT SINNING? HOW HAVE YOU DEALT WITH THIS?
- HOW CAN WE MAINTAIN LOVE, COMPASSION AND WITNESS TO UNBELIEVING FRIENDS AND FAMILY WITHOUT BEING JUDGMENTAL OR JOINING THEIR UNGODLY BEHAVIOR?
1 Peter 4:5 but they will give account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. Act 20:19-20 Serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews; (20) how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house