Change – The Unexplainable Community
NEXT STEP FORM
The church is called to be an unexplainable community. The way we take care to love each other is unexplainable except for the presence of God. Jesus said it “By this, all men will know that you are My disciples if you have love for one another. “ -John 13:35
This has never been easy because Jesus calls so many kinds of people to be His followers.
The first disciples were from very different classes and politics. Having a former tax collector for Rome and a zealot in His inner circle says a lot about what Jesus wants to do. Later it was native Hebrews and Greeks, bond and free, this is an important work and God is serious about how we obey Him in our application of His orders.
PREPARING FOR SUNDAY: SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS
Please slowly read through the “one another commands”, and consider the following questions.
- “…Be at peace with each other.” (Mark 9:50)
- “…Wash one another’s feet.” (John 13:14)
- “…Love one another…” (John 13:34)
- “…Love one another…” (John 13:34)
- “…Love one another…” (John 13:35)
- “…Love one another…” (John 15:12)
- “…Love one another” (John 15:17)
- “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love…” (Romans 12:10)
- “…Honor one another above yourselves. (Romans 12:10)
- “Live in harmony with one another…” (Romans 12:16)
- “…Love one another…” (Romans 13:8)
- “…Stop passing judgment on one another.” (Romans 14:13)
- “Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you…” (Romans 15:7)
- “…Instruct one another.” (Romans 15:14)
- “Greet one another with a holy kiss…” (Romans 16:16)
- “…When you come together to eat, wait for each other.” (I Cor. 11:33)
- “…Have equal concern for each other.” (I Corinthians 12:25)
- “…Greet one another with a holy kiss.” (I Corinthians 16:20)
- “Greet one another with a holy kiss.” (II Corinthians 13:12)
- “…Serve one another in love.” (Galatians 5:13)
- “If you keep on biting and devouring each other…you will be destroyed by each other.”
- “Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.” (Galatians 5:26)
- “Carry each other’s burdens…” (Galatians 6:2)
- “…Be patient, bearing with one another in love.” (Ephesians 4:2)
- “Be kind and compassionate to one another…” (Ephesians 4:32)
- “…Forgiving each other…” (Ephesians 4:32)
- “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.” (Ephesians 5:19)
- “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” (Ephesians 5:21)
- “…In humility consider others better than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)
- “Do not lie to each other…” (Colossians 3:9)
- “Bear with each other…” (Colossians 3:13)
- “…Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.” (Colossians 3:13)
- “Teach… [one another]” (Colossians 3:16)
- “…Admonish one another (Colossians 3:16)
- “…Make your love increase and overflow for each other.” (I Thessalonians 3:12)
- “…Love each other.” (I Thessalonians 4:9)
- “…Encourage each other…” (I Thessalonians 4:18)
- “…Encourage each other…” I Thessalonians 5:11)
- “…Build each other up…” (I Thessalonians 5:11)
- “Encourage one another daily…” Hebrews 3:13)
- “…Spur one another on toward love and good deeds.” (Hebrews 10:24)
- “…Encourage one another.” (Hebrews 10:25)
- “…Do not slander one another.” (James 4:11)
- “Don’t grumble against each other…” (James 5:9)
- “Confess your sins to each other…” (James 5:16)
- “…Pray for each other.” (James 5:16)
- “…Love one another deeply, from the heart.” (I Peter 3:8)
- “…Live in harmony with one another…” (I Peter 3:8)
- “…Love each other deeply…” (I Peter 4:8)
- “Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.” (I Peter 4:9)
- “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others…” (I Peter 4:10)
- “…Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another…”(I Peter 5:5)
- “Greet one another with a kiss of love.” (I Peter 5:14)
- “…Love one another.” (I John 3:11)
- “…Love one another.” (I John 3:23)
- “…Love one another.” (I John 4:7)
- “…Love one another.” (I John 4:11)
- “…Love one another.” (I John 4:12)
- “…Love one another.” (II John 5)
- HOW DO THE ONE ANOTHER COMMANDS SUGGEST WE CAN’T GROW AS JESUS FOLLOWER ALONE WHEN THE FELLOWSHIP IS POSSIBLE?
- WHICH OF THESE ONE ANOTHER COMMANDS SEEMS HARDEST?
- WHY DOES GOD SEEK TO PUT YOU WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE DIFFERENT THAN YOU?
- WHAT MAKES YOU TEND TO KEEP WALLS UP WITH OTHERS?
- WHAT CAN THOSE LOOK LIKE IN CHURCH?
- DESCRIBE SOMEONE WHO BUILT A BRIDGE TO YOU?
- WHAT DOES GODS FINAL VISION OF HIS PEOPLE SAY ABOUT WHAT THE MAKEUP OF HIS CHURCH SHOULD BE?
Rev 7:9-10 After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands; and they cry out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.
- WHAT WOULD NEED TO CHANGE TO BUILD HEALTHIER AND CLOSER RELATIONS WITH OTHERS?
Col 2:1-2 For I want you to know how great a struggle I have on your behalf and for those who are at Laodicea, and for all those who have not personally seen my face, that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself.
- DESCRIBE HOW A KIND INVITATION FORM SOMEONE ENCOURAGED YOU OR HELPED YOU.
- WHAT ARE WAYS WE CAN INVITE OTHERS INTO OUR LIVES?
- WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK?